- August 30, 2020
- Posted by: Syed Shujaat
- Category: Uncategorized
You probably already know that having an accurate time set on all clients and servers is important. Very bad things happen when computer clocks disagree. Things like:
- Users cannot log on to a domain
- Applications overwrite new data with older versions
- Servers fail to synchronize data between each other, causing version conflicts
- Financial transactions become subject to dispute
- Regulatory requirements are not met
Enabling the NTP server service requires a quick registry modification. Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ W32Time \ TimeProviders \ NtpServer and change Enabled from 0 to 1.
he last step is to update the Windows Time service’s running configuration. You do this by opening a command prompt and typing the w32tm /config /update command. You can then verify that the NTP server service is enabled with the w32tm /query /configuration command. Both of these are shown in Figure 4.